Sunday, December 15, 2013

God Gave His Son, let’s give to OTHERS

John 3: 16
“For God so loved the world, that He GAVE His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.”

Right now…before you get bored and say…I’ll read this later, would you stay with me for 5 minutes. let’s focus on the first portion of this Bible verse.  “God So loved the world”…that’s us….he loved us so much “that he gave His only begotten Son”  God gave…because he Loved us.  I love that.  I love to think about the little word – so -.  How much did God love you and me?   SO much!  I remember when my boys were babies; I'd hold each of their hand and say, ”Mommy loves you Sooooooo much”.  And I would take his hands and spread them wide…as I said the words soooo much!  I get tears right now as I remember the baby laughing right out loud.’  As we decide to show love to others…let’s remember to do everything as if we were doing it for Jesus.  Look at this portion of Scripture.  It blesses my heart every time.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
Matthew 25:35-40
King James Version (KJV)
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Remember it is Christ that we want to please and show our love first of all. In these verses we see the very heart of Christ. As we are kind and loving to others Jesus says...it’s as if we were doing it for Him.  I like that!  Because we love him we will want to reach out to others.  Remember that we love Him because He first loved us. Ladies, this is a reminder for me, but it’s also for any one else who might read this blog. Christmas is a time for giving, not getting.  How crazy is it that its Christ’s birthday, and we get the gifts. Oh I know we have our “List for Santa”. It made me sad to watch the TV advertisement and see the “out of the gate” attitude for more stuff.  Don’t get me wrong…it has its place, its fun, but that place has to be 2nd or even beyond. Let’s put Christ into the very center of our Christmas at home.  

As Christians, we need to get out of our “personal” comfort zone ... show others, especial those who are lonely, someone who has lost a loved one recently, or maybe even take 30 minutes and visit a shut in, or an elderly man or women who lives all alone, send a card, or stop by and see visit that person who is feeling all alone. Just a friendly hello might not seem like much to you, but to someone else, it means someone cares. I always like to have something to give them. This time of year, a small Christmas cactus can be purchased for a couple dollars, or even take your children with you, and before you go, have them, make a card, put out some craft paper, crayons, and maybe some stickers, and tell the children we are going to visit someone and have them make a picture or card and let them give them to the person you are visiting. Trust me, it will be a blessing to all of you...and a wonderful lesson for your children. You don’t have to stay long, just give them the one thing we all appreciates...a few moments of time. My mother is a shut-in, she’s 92 years old...and loves it whenever someone unexpectedly stops by, Yesterday when I called she was so happy, a Christian family that lives a few miles away, stopped by, brought their musical instruments and played Christmas carols and one of her favorites “Oh Holy Night”, and she was thrilled. It’s made her day!  Was it Hallmark that had the advertisement ”Reach out and touch someone”. Why not do it?  Every year, I have been thinking of the many hospitals across American where our wounded warriors lay in beds. I can’t even imagine what they are feeling right now when all across American...people are “going home for Christmas”, or like at our house, the kids are coming home!  If you live near a military base, there are many men and women who can’t go home for the holidays, how about inviting one or two of them to join your family for Christmas dinner? When you go to church, look for that one who comes in every Sunday alone, perhaps you could reach out to them. Something I like to do is make fresh banana bread or now is the season for pumpkin bread...make an extra loaf, even one of those mini loaves, wrap it up and give it away. There is a favorite Bible verse that keeps me on my toes...John 13:35 (read verse 34 too ...it’s good stuff) “By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.” You cannot love one another and do nothing. Love is an action word. I am putting a small gift out for the postman on Monday.  I have some homemade candy, a loaf of pumpkin bread and guess what else?  I will include a tract. I’m doing the same thing with all my neighbors.  Use every opportunity to share the Christmas story…you never know, but a life might be changed for eternity because you were giving instead of wanting to GET !  I can’t do much physically, but I can Give.  I can show love toward others. 

In closing, let me mention that next week I will have my 92 year old mother here with me...and she does not like me on the computer, so unless I can do my blog while she is napping, I may have to skip next weeks MMMusing all together.   If so, then the recipes I’m posting later today will be my last blog until she goes home.  Have a JOYOUS CHRISTmas, and be sure to thank God for sending His only Begotten SON.   Merry CHRISTmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment