Sunday, December 22, 2013


Merry Christmas 2014

Matthew 1:23-25
Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son and they shall call his name Emmanuel which being interpreted is God with us.  Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as he angel of the Lord had  bidden him, and took unto him his wife; And knew her not till she had brought forth he firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.
Here it is, Christmas 2013.  I remember back around 1986 and hearing a Sci-Fi  show throwing out dates in the future, like 2014 or 2025…and it seemed like crazy talk, I just couldn’t imagine it.  I felt that those dates were something in a fiction book.  But girls here we are! it’s almost 2014.  You young girls can’t understand what I’m talking about can you?  (smile)  I was born in 1945, 68 years ago.  Yeah, I am an antique just like the teacups in my cupboard.  I often pull them out and look at them.  A couple of them are cracked and chipped…my teapot, the handle broke off and glued back on.  No longer really usuable, just filling a spot on the shelf.  I’m finding that I’m becoming more and more like that teapot.  But, I remember well when the teapot was serviceable.  I used it often, and it has provided many a cup of tea for my guest.  Recently I was re-arranging my old tea set and as I held the once lovely teapot, I thought as I set it down, your on the shelf just like this cracked, old teapot.  Not so useable any more.  Then I remember that I might not be the same as I was in my younger years, but I can still be used.  This past week I went to the doctor’s 4 out of 5 days.  Pretty yucky huh?  I found out that this week - Christmas week I will have to have some test, and then on Thursday, I’ll go into the hospital. I’m bummed to say the least, but it’s God’s plan for me.  What I am trying to say is I am still useable if I want to be.  This week I was able to talk to both my doctors about the Lord.  One doctor is a Muslim, and the other one I’m not sure about….but neither are saved.  Neither one of them know why Jesus came that first Christmas.  I have had the opportunity to talk about Jesus to one of them freely.  Praise God.  And a in a smaller way to the other one.  I was ask a few questions about why I am a Baptist…and what an opportunity that gave me.  So, there are times when God opens doors for me to exalt Him and that is what I desire more then anything.

By the way, before we get into the thot for this week, please when you think of me, pray.  I will be going into the hospital the day after Christmas for some surgery.

We see in the last part of verse 25…”And he (Joseph) called his name JESUS.”  This means Joshua in the Hebrew…meaning Salvation…Savior or Deliverer.  His name is special.  One of my doctors first name is Emmanuel.  I told him that I like his name…God with us.  He smiled and nodded. 

Won’t you talk about Him?  When buying Christmas cards…if you buy Christmas cards, try and pick out one that points to Jesus, or His birth.  Or find one that is a beautiful scenery, and write in a Bible verse.  Let’s exalt Him this year.

When friends come by, have Scripture all around your house.  Recently Doug’s friend was here and she saw “Charity” and a Bible verse framed on our wall.  She noticed it and read the entire verse and turned smiling and said, there’s my name.   I walked over to her and put my arm around her and said, “yes, your name means Love and I think your mom and dad chose a perfect name to describe you.”  She turned and hugged me.

This year, whether you are staying home and having guest or going to be with family this year…won’t you exalt Him in what ever you do.  Before opening gifts mention that the first gift ever given was given to all of us.  John 3:16.  I like to write John 3:16 on my gift tags.  Even to our saved Children…we need to keep on witnessing, keep on keeping Christ in the center of Christmas, in the center of our family.   Have a candle or something more fancy…a candlelabra…and a framed (make it on the computer) the Light of the World is JESUS.  Be creative, but a constant testimony.  Lift JESUS up this Cristmas.  One time I found a clear hard plastic box…put a piece from our navity in it, wrapped a bow around it and placed it with the wrapped gifts…it had a tag…saying “To Everyone”  from: GOD (John 3:16.   I got many comments and compliments.  I wanted the comments, not the compliments…I wanted to Keep Christ in Christmas.

Eacj morning before my feet hit the floor, I say to the Lord, use me today.  Let me recognize the windows of opportunity you being my way.  JESUS, sweetest name I know.  Won’t you join me in keeping this all about God’s gift to us…and not the gifts we hope to find under the tree.  Moms, show your children that giving is always more fun then getting. 

I love you all.  Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment