Thursday, December 12, 2013

"John 1:14    

“And the WORD became flesh and dwelt among us..”



"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God; and the Word was God.” John 1:1  When I was a little girl, I’d always pay attention to my Pastor when he preached.  I remember many of his sermons, but one of them was around the Christmas holidays...and he used this portion of Scripture. When he read the words, I remember looking down at my little white Bible and asking the question in my mind.  “Jesus? is this You?” (remember I was 8 years old)  That night as I was getting into bed, I picked up my Bible and I said,  “Jesus, I’m going to kiss my Bible, because I want to kiss you.”  Then I got embarrassed and hurriedly kissed it.  My sister was looking at me like I was crazy....so I climbed into bed and turned my back to Arlene.  We (twins) shared the same bed until I got married many years later and moved out.  I never asked anyone about this verse, but as an adult, as a woman who still loves the Bible, I do believe that you can not separate the BOOK from the Savior.  I feel the need to kiss it again right now!  (yes, I may be 68 years old, but once in awhile, that 8 year old kid shows up)

Now as we are thinking about Christmas...and that special time when the Word became Flesh and dwelt among us...lets show how glad we are that Jesus came to earth that very first Christmas...He came with one purpose...to pay the debt of sin we could never have paid.  So, I encourage you...pick up your Bible today, it’s a love letter from God to you.

When Herb and I were dating, he was going to Bob Jones in Greenville, SC.  Every morning on my way to catch the bus to go High School, I made a detour...to the US Post Office.  It was out of my way, but I was looking for a love letter. Nearly every day there would be a letter waiting in our box.  I couldn’t wait to read every word.  Each word he wrote was filled with love for me.  I could hardly wait for the next day and the next Love letter.  That is how we ought to be about God’s Word.  The Bible is a love letter to us,  He wants to help us with our problems, teach us how to live,  how to raise our children, how to love our husband, how to keep our marriage running smoothly .... and more. So, just like we love to get letters from those we love, I encourage you to take time every day to read the Bible.

I will be sending out some wonderful recipes soon.  Be sure to stop in again and see what’s being posted on my blog.




No comments:

Post a Comment